Lightning Strikes | Day Drunk: Lightning Strikes

May 18, 2013

Lightning Strikes

Maybe once, maybe twice? Or in our case, all night long! 

Provided by weather.gov

We have been having some pretty intense weather around these parts of South Dakota! Last night it nearly rained an inch!! That is a pretty profound amount for an area suffering from a relatively severe drought. We were also afflicted with very gusty winds and lots of thunder and lightning. It looks like there's a little more on the way over the next couple of days as well, so I hope our newest tomato transplants make it through okay!


Last night's spectacular lightning show was actually a pretty intense experience. With our tiny house perched on the crest of a hill, I found it difficult to tell if we were actually in any danger or not! Severe thunderstorms on the prairie are nothing to scoff at-- loud, unpredictable, and intimidating, that's for sure-- and it definitely is an extreme way to experience some jaw-dropping action. Lightning bolts were striking the ground all around us for the better part of the night. What a thrill!!

I tried to snag some cool pictures of the bolts, but the strong winds and the sense of impending doom kind of messed with my concentration. I did get some cool shots of things being lit up by the epic blasts of light. Please mind that I am a pretty inexperienced photographer and that I was making changes with the settings quite frantically and moving around a lot.


I did manage to grab at least one blurry bolt. Maybe tonight will prove more fruitful!

No comments:

Post a Comment